The other day I wrote a blog post that shared some of the strangest laws in the United States. Y’all seemed to enjoy that one so today, I will share some interesting facts about ‘Murica that you may or may not know. I’ll be honest, I was surprised by many of them. And also a little confused and saddened by some of them. You can view the full list here.
Here we go!
1. The US government poisoned alcohol during prohibition in the 20’s and 30’s, killing over 10,000 people.
2. 100 acres of pizza are served in the USA every day.
3. In 1776, the population was just 2.5 million. Today it’s over 300 million.
4. 7% of Americans claim they never bathe.
5. 1 in 8 American workers have been employed by McDonald’s. I am one of those btw. I was fifteen and I lasted about two weeks 😉
6. Every second Americans collectively eat 100 lbs of chocolate.
7. 9 million people are in prisons around the world and a quarter of them, are in the US.
8. There are at least 97 people called LOL in the United States. Gotta admit, that makes me sad.
9. Apple has more operating cash than the US treasury. Not surprising considering how much these damn iPhones cost. (On a side note, I’m writing this from my iPhone…#irony)
10. Every tweet Americans send is being archived by the library of congress. But why??? Do they read my blog too?
11. The US has 115,000 janitors, 83,000 bartenders and 323,000 restaurant servers with bachelors degrees.
12. After Christianity, the largest religious affiliation in the US is Judaism.
13. In the US it costs $245,000 to raise a child, before college.
14. In the US there is an official rock, paper, scissors league. #howdoijoin
15. There are more Facebook users in the US than US citizens that voted in the last election. That makes me sad.
16. The banana is the most popular fruit.
17. 97% of rapists in the US never spend a day in jail for their crime.
18. There are 100 divorces every hour in the US.
19. The US government spent $1.1 million on puppets between 2009-2013 #wtf
20. The cost of college has gone up 500% since 1985.
21. Gun sales increase after a mass shooting.
22. Sitting on a sea turtle is a third degree felony.
23. Empty homes outnumber the homeless 6 to 1. THAT is insane!